The Everyman Theatre opened in 1964 and was originally funded by a small grant from Liverpool Council. With its distinctive thrust stage, its plays dealt with local social and political problems of the time. Now owned and managed by the Liverpool and Merseyside Theatres Trust, The Everyman was closed and completely rebuilt between 2011 and 2014. It was designed by Haworth Tompkins architects with Charcoal Blue as theatre consultant and contractor Gilbert-Ash.
Clark Door supplied and installed a range of doors from acoustic steel hinged and composite doors through to fire rated single and double leaf pivot doors.
Clark Door’s fire rated pivot doors close automatically as they are integrated with the building’s fire alarm system, creating fire compartmentalisation. This feature and their space saving profile, being recessed into the wall when open, allow greater freedom in the architect’s functional and aesthetic design. The bespoke design allowed decorative panels to be fitted onto the door faces which are matched with the surrounding walls, giving the impression of being hidden.
Clark Door are able to offer:
- Double leaf pivot doors up to 5.8 metres wide (depending on the height, due to weight restrictions)
- Fire periods of 30/60/90/120 minutes’ integrity, insulation and smoke prevention to EN1634-1.
- A variety of finishes such as Plastisol, stainless steel, polyester powder coated steel, veneers and prepared for cladding.
- Single, double or unequal leaf sizes, each door is bespoke to the architect’s individual design concept.
The Everyman pivot door, at 4.6 m high, is the tallest pivot door Clark Door has made to date. The door is held open by an electromagnet and is designed to seal off the stairway in event of a fire.
The high attenuation acoustic doors include a bi-fold loading bay door and a 4.1m wide x 6.7m high electrically operated 52dB, 60-minute fire rated horizontal sliding dock door between the stage and the workshop.
The new Everyman was awarded the 2014 Stirling Prize by the RIBA.
“We are very happy with the looks, functioning, installation and backup Clark Door have provided, and expect many years of trouble free performance”
– Robert Longthorne, Building Development Director